The Amos Brown House of 1802 is the oldest house in Whitingham, Vermont. While the area at that time must have been heavily forested, Amos Brown chose to build his home in the more stylish material of brick, which was fabricated on site. Designed with elements of the Federal style, the first style of the new American republic, the house also retained features that were common from the 17th century in New England.
The farm prospered and in the 1870s the house was expanded with the addition of a summer kitchen and pantry, porch, woodshed, chicken coop, barn, and 4-seater outhouse, all of which remain virtually unchanged. Despite the fact that by this date Vermont had been nearly deforested for sheep farming, these additions were constructed with wood.
By the late 19th century the farm began to decline, following the trend of agriculture in New England, and in the 1930s farming at this site ceased. Soon afterwards the farm became home to Carthusian monks, a contemplative order founded in France. For nearly 20 years, the monks lived in shacks in the woods and held services and prepared meals in the house. By the 1990s the Amos Brown house had declined considerably and was abandoned. The owner gave the house to the local historical society.
The Landmark Trust USA acquired the property in 2000 from the historical society who found management of the property beyond their means and expertise. The house enjoyed its first visitors in 2003 after 2 years of restoration.
The Amos Brown House: